Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Catch Me if You Can!” - A Loan Officer's Motto?


We caught a loan officer trying to trick a consumer into a loan! Protect yourself and see how it’s done.

This last week, I was helping a past client here in Santa Barbara to determine if a quote from a major lender was competitive. I couldn’t do the loan since her property was a rented condominium with special HOA concerns. I suggested that she consider her current lender because they may waive rules pertaining to the HOA.

Here’s an ugly but, unfortunately, all too common series of events where the lender was trying to “trick” a consumer into selecting a loan. If you can learn from the below, maybe you can avoid the same situation. If this was Sixty Minutes, the person being interviewed would have their face is in the shadows with a garbled voice!

Here’s what happened……

The original email had a rate that was somewhat on the high side. This loan officer was most likely “fishing” to see if someone would respond to such a high rate.

In the second round of emails, the rate magically dropped about .375% but the spreadsheet didn’t show any points, I told my past client, “Ask them if this is a ‘zero point’ loan?” Hmmm….. I was guessing that there must be points but they simply “forgot” to put this on the spreadsheet.

Did this loan “professional” sense that they had a “fish on the hook?” The updated spreadsheet (3rdemail) now stated the points. What happened? How did this cost now magically appear? Why wasn’t this in the initial email? At this juncture, I started to take a closer look at the quote and it didn’t seem too bad. My bank had better rates/points but the existing lender might be the only option anyway (i.e., rental/HOA). It wasn’t the best but it was close.

I’ve been a Loan Officer for almost 20 years and have closed over 1,000 escrows. Even with all of this experience, I almost missed an important item! Just as I was getting ready to hit the “send” button to tell my past client “close enough”, I noticed something! I said to myself, “What a minute. This doesn’t look right.” I realized that the manner in-which the spreadsheet was formatted (Lots of numbers. Easy to get lost) made one assume there wasn’t any 3rd party costs. So I said to my past client, “Ask them to confirm that these are the only costs. No 3rd party items such as appraisal, escrow/title, credit, flood, recording, etc., etc.”

Well this question sure did get an interesting “curt” response! Did you ever see the crime movie, “Catch Me If You Can!” with DiCapio? Well, we caught them “red-handed”. This loan officer said something like, “Of course there are other fees. I mentioned that in our phone conversation.” Ha!.. Initially, the loan officer sends out some high rate just to see what may happen. Then, they “forgot” the points. Lastly, they deliberately didn’t show the 3rdparty costs. You’ve got to be kidding me!! I told my past client, “We caught them. They are done. I’ll introduce to you a friend of mine who is a great loan professional here in Santa Barbara.”

Here’s what everyone needs to think about….. It is very difficult to get the “best deal”. “Shopping” for a mortgage should be easier. There are so many “tricks” that it really makes it almost impossible. Here’s the solution: Go with a local lender who was recommended by a friend, CPA, Realtor or attorney. There are very good and honest loan professionals in every community.

Remember… some banks can “shop” the rates for you through multiple sources. Brokers do the same type of shopping but their processing can be a little more burdensome. Caution, the smooth processing of a loan application can vary. To insure a timely closing, select a veteran loan officer who has attention to detail!

“Shoppers” beware… call a friend!

Ken Doss
Community West Bank
Santa Barbara, CA
805-692-4382
kdoss@communitywestbank.com

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)Thank you


    LOAN APPLICATION FORM.

    (1)Full Name:
    (2)Country:
    (3)State:
    (4)Address:
    (5)Sex:
    (6)Occupation:
    (7)Amount needed:
    (8)Loan duration:
    (9)Loan purpose:
    (10)Telephone

    Email Us:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete